How to make it
Cannabis butter is common and maybe one of the more simple ways to make cannabis infused products. But don’t be fooled, it can be a bit tricky. The THC has to be properly decarboxylate – change from its acid form to its psychoactive form. In order to do this, it has to be heated over a low heat for a long period of time. One way this gets done is by spreading the grinded cannabis on a sheet and put in the oven for 15 minutes, baking it in a very low heat.
For the purpose of making the butter, it is good to use a slow-cooker or it can be made on the stove, but cooked slowly over a low heat. For the purpose of this article, both methods will be explained.
1 lb. unsalted butter
1 cup water (add more at any time if needed)
1 ounce ground cannabis flower or 1 ½ ounce quality trim (This amount will leave potent butter, if you desire less potent butter, lower the content)
Top Stove Method
- Add one cup of water and 1 lb. of butter in pot or sauce pan. Let the butter melt and begin to simmer on low. Adding water helps to regulate temperature and help the butter from not burning
- As butter starts melting, add ground cannabis
- Keep the heat low and let the mixture simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Prevent the butter from boiling.
Slow Cooker Method
- Turn slow cooker on low and add 1 cup of water, 1 lb. of butter and ground cannabis
- Cover slow cooker with lid and let simmer on low for 8 to 24 hours. It can be stirred occasionally. The longer it simmers, the more potent it would be and the more cannabinoids would be infused.
For Both Methods:
- After simmering the desired time, pour mixture into a glass-refrigerator safe container, using a strainer. Like cheese cloth, or very fine mesh, to strain out all plant products.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight until butter is hardened. When hard, the butter will separate from the water. Lift out of water, and left it to soften in room temperature. Do not use microwave to soften butter.
The recipes above can always be doubled to make more cannabis butter. It is also good to use high quality unsalted butter, as it has less water content and would render a better product.
As mentioned before, there is no perfect way to make cannabis infused butter; there is only your way. Best is to experiment until you find your perfect way.